It is expected that the successful candidate will approach the task with the best cost-benefit approach while ensuring decisions align with the organization's overall strategy. The Deputy Manager, Technical Services and Standards will report to the Network Operations Manager and will engage with a range of colleagues, particularly the Construction Manager during project construction, and external stakeholders including contractors, consultants, and partner DISCOs.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Personnel and performance management: Participate in staff recruitment and selection processes; conduct staff appraisals, counseling and professional development, and day-to-day management; contribute to staff training and Skills Development planning.
- Procedures, systems, and controls: Develop Organizational Procedures, Systems, and Controls. Communicate procedural requirements to personnel and ensure compliance; inspect work sites and work sequences and determine the need for corrective/ remedial measures; investigate workplace accidents/ incidents, provide direction on courses of action. Perform regular internal compliance audits on the correct application of standards, procedures, and specifications and reports any findings to the Risk & Quality Officer (or manager responsible for quality).
Standards & Specifications:
- Develop procedures, standards, equipment, and installation specifications for adoption and application within the business operations.
- Ensure regular audits and reviews are scheduled to evaluate the effectiveness of standards and procedures.
- Act upon any findings of inefficiencies and review/update standards/specifications accordingly.
- Chair and oversee a technical forum (consisting of the organization's colleagues and representatives from key stakeholders such as contractors and partner DISCOs) that will jointly review and approve changes to any standard or specification.
- Actively participate and represent the organization in external technical committees and standards bodies to ensure the organization is aligned with best engineering practices and attend to external technology/standards-related activities (e.g., factory acceptance testing of new equipment).
- Sign-off on RFP / procurement requests, and review and approve contractors’/suppliers’ technical offerings.
- Review new technology offerings and make recommendations for adoption of new equipment/suppliers/technology introduction into the business operations.
- Ensure specifications are updated to accommodate new trends and meet the industry and business requirements.
- Ensure that all relevant subscriptions for local and applicable international standards are in place.
- Act as custodian for all standards documentation, process maps, and specifications including implementation of effective version control and manage access and subscription to various stakeholders.
- Ensure that all relevant stakeholders are updated regarding standards and specifications changes.
- Develop, implement and manage various international standards management systems such as ISO9000 (Quality Management), ISO55000 (Asset Management), ISO14000 (Environmental Management), ISO 27000 (Information Technology), ISO31000 (Risk Management), etc. as per policy and strategic objectives in association with various stakeholders.
Calibration and Testing:
- Oversee and manage all technical laboratories and testing facilities and equipment.
- Ensure meter calibration and consumption estimation methodology standards are maintained and approved in accordance with regulatory requirements.
- Manage and ensure suitability and accuracy of all equipment required for measurement, testing, and/or recording data and/or events including scheduling of accuracy testing and calibration activities.
Training & Competency Management:
- Identify staff training and skills development needs to ensure the effective implementation of standards and specifications in association with the Deputy Manager: HR
- Develop training material and courses and present training on technical aspects, procedures, policies, and standards.
- Ensure that all relevant stakeholders are trained and proficient in the use and application of technology changes, standards, and specifications.
- Perform regular and scheduled competency assessments relating to technical proficiency.
- Manage all switching and network control and competency certification.
Reporting & Audits:
- Reporting: Provide monthly reporting on standardization management and compliance findings related to technical standards and specifications.
- Internal Audits: Initiate internal audits related to standards improvements and compliance checking
- External Audits: Oversee and manage external audits in relation to standardization.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering from a reputable institution.
- COREN Registered.
- 10+ years experience in electrical infrastructure design, procurement, and management.
- Experience in standardization and management systems implementation is a prerequisite.
- An intense understanding of standards, equipment specifications, and process development.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of transmission, distribution, and reticulation infrastructure.
- Good understanding and knowledge of Nigerian Grid and Metering code, Infrastructure Standards, and regulatory requirements.
- Critical thinking skills and the ability to research and understand technical, legal, and financial implications.
- Effective communication, negotiation, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent technical reading, writing, and language skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint).
- Ability to work in a fast-paced/dynamic environment and good multitasking capabilities.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Good interpersonal, communication, and client/vendor interface skills.
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees, management, and external agencies to maximize performance.
- Good understanding of the Nigerian Electric Service Industry.